Bargain Hunter: How to Spot a Designer Knock-Off
- An obvious sign is the quality if its the real deal it won't be made of cheap material. Although there are some pretty good knock offs out there that are made of real leather, to tell these apart the knock offs are typically very stiff and sometimes the leather is uneven.
- Take a look at the stitching, designer labels won't have crooked stitching. A good tip is to examine the stitching in less visible areas such as the pockets.
- Knowing where the label is made will help you out e.g. An french label but the jacket says made in China- good indicator that it is fake.
- Play close attention to the logo and signatures- if its uneven, upside down, backwards or has lettering missing it can help identify a fake. Another tip is regards is examining logo, it should continue on the sides not be cut in half.
- If you are buying from it ebay check if comes with the authenticity certificate, if the seller is the original owner they may have kept it. (Obviously only the high end labels come with a certificate if its Country Road bag for example don't expect anything).
- Even armed with all of this it can still be hard to tell the difference, if you are desperate to know your best bet is to compare it to the real thing.