How to Style a Pencil Midi Skirt
While shopping in H&M over in Europe I spotted a bright green, midi length pencil skirt (pictured to the left). My eyes were drawn to it and I wanted it. I ignored my brain telling me things like "You're short, midi length is not for you", "Do you even know how you are going to style it with your existing wardrobe?" which all led to the big question- "Will you ever wear it?". I ignored all those thoughts and bought it. Fast forward four months and the tags are still on it. The colour, length and even the material made it difficult to wear. I found the cut and length made it to formal for every day wear and the colour a little too much for corporate attire (not that I have really needed to wear corporate attire in the past months). So I searched the internet for some styling and inspiration and here is my guide to styling a midi skirt, a bright coloured skirt and pencil skirt. Or all in one!
How to style a bright coloured skirt:
- If you want to pass it off in a work setting pair it with neutral colours e.g. your blacks and whites.
- But if its for everyday wear why not have a little fun and pair it with a clashing block colour- embrace the colour blocking trend.
- Below are two ideas of styling: for work and play.
|Courtesy of DirtyHairHalo.com|
How to style a midi skirt:
- Personally, I think wearing a midi skirt higher on the waist is most flattering and belting it will reduce it looking frumpy.
- If you are a shorty, like me, go for a shorter length midi skirt and try pairing it with heels.
- Also keep the top simple, nothing too busy or frilly.
Armed with those tips I think I am ready to try out my new(ish) skirt, hope they helped you too!