Recipe | DIY "Baked" Eggs with Tomato, Mushrooms, Rocket and Chorizo
A rainy day stuck at home doing an assignment is what lead to the creation of this surprisingly tasty dish. I didn't have much time but wanted a lunch time treat so put this together with what I found in the fridge and pantry. I say surprisingly tasty because I just wanted to create something that looked like the baked eggs I saw in cafes but didn't know how to go about it (I didn't even bake it) or what exactly went it to rather I went off the visual alone. I liked it so much that I made it the next day. And then the day after that I made it again, this time without the eggs and instead I stirred through some cooked pasta.
1 tbs Crushed Garlic
1 tsp Chilli Flakes
3/4 can Crushed Tomatoes
1/4 cup Slice Mushrooms
1 tbs Salsa
2 slices (chopped) Packaged and Sliced Chorizo or Salami
5 Rocket Leaves
1 tbs Olive Oil
To taste Salt and pepper
- In a small pan, heat up the oil. Throw in the garlic, chilli flakes (less or more depending on taste), salt and pepper. Mix it up and allow it to cook for one minute
- Add the tomatoes, mushrooms, salsa and chorizo. Mix. Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Crack the egg, one at a time, and gently pour it from the shell onto the sauce.
- Leave until the whites become a solid white (if you like your yolks fully cooked, leave it a few minutes longer)
- Throw the rocket leaves on top, if you prefer you can add them right after you add the eggs.
- Serve straight in the pan!