Recipe | Asian Inspired Quinoa Meatballs
Pintrest is my new found online haunt and is a great source of inspiration. A couple of different pins inspired this recipe, mainly a few pins that featured quinoa meatballs- protein on protein! And with this week's Reddit's 52 weeks of cooking challenge ingredient being whole grains, it was the perfect week to execute the recipe brewing in my head. The simmering process allowed the meatballs to slightly caramelise on the outside, creating a delicious snack or, pair it with some rice (or more quinoa) for an easy lunch or dinner.
200 grams minced pork or beef
1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp minced ginger
1 egg, whisked
1 small chili, finely chopped
6 or so coriander leaves, finely chopped
1/2 cup honey
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
- Cook quinoa as directed on package
- Mix together the mince, cooked quinoa, egg, garlic, ginger, chilli, coriander, salt and pepper.
Roll into small balls, and place on greased tray
- Cook in the oven at 160 degrees Celicus for 10 minutes.
- In a deep pan, bring together the honey, soy sauce and sugar. Mix on a low heat for about 2 minutes, or until the honey and sugar has dissolved
- Gently place the meatballs into the sauce, cover with a lid and allow to simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes. Flip the balls over, and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Yields 12 small meatballs